flying birds animated Pictures, Images and Photos

10 March 2010

CELEBRATION TIME
















 This is a very important week for women.  From March 7 to March 13 we are celebrating International Women's Week. The celebration used to last a day but now it lasts a week .  Canada's theme for 2010 is STRONG WOMEN, STRONG CANADA, STRONG WORLD.  Among other things, it was reported in the media that 61% of university graduates are women compared to 55% in 1998 and that women were opening their own businesses at twice the rate of men (I guess no one wants to hire us). 

The global day was March 8.  In some places like China, Russia, Vietnam and Bulgaria IWD was a national holiday. Next year it will be the centenary as the first year was run in 1911.  I found pictures and beautiful artwork depicting this event:
This poster was created in Cuba.

















 This one is Russian.

















 This took place in Indonesia.


 South Africa.











 There was a big assembly in Turkey

















  An overseas friend (male) of mine sent me this article that shows how his part of the world is involved in empowering women by implementing a new safety program:



With  the high rate of attacks on women in secluded  car parks, especially during evening hours, the  Cardiff     City Council has established a "Women Only" car park  at the new   St  David’s Shopping Centre. Even the attendants are exclusively  female so that a comfortable and safe  environment is created for patrons.

Below is the first picture available of  this world-first, women-only car park in Wales.
 






  I'm not "sure" if he is still a friend.... Anyhow.....






Did anything happen in your part of the blogosphere on March 8th? 

P.S.  Cant wait to celebrate another tea party next Wednesday with Wanda Lee.




 

12 comments:

  1. omg.....we men are going to be run over by women. ;)

    talldarkman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ann-Marie! I didn't even know it was international women's week. Would have loved to feature that fact at the Cellulite Investigation. Next year!

    Thanks for stopping by and sharing a bit of your cellulite story. I've been wondering about ballet dancers ever since I heard that they tend to get a different kind of cellulite (more solid) than most other women. Most women are surprised that ballet dancers get cellulite at all, so thanks for confirming that fact! I would love to hear more about your mesotherapy treatment if you're ever up for it, though it sounds like you've got your hands full right now. Alzheimer's is such a difficult illness to deal with. Sending many prayers your way.

    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Talldarkman,

    Dont worry. We still love you men too much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa,

    LOL, I dont remember writing about my cellulite. Well what the heck now the whole world knows! LOL I think now that my cellulite has transformed itself into something more of a half cooked jello consistency. I will stop now before I gross out everybody! My husband reads this blog...

    Well my dad passed away now so I'm just left with weird memories: the dad I knew before and who he became afterwards. I try and remember him for the man he used to be. I have been thinking about posting something on this disease later on. Anyway, Happy International Woman's Week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello darling thanks so much for visiting my cottage and for the kind comment you left behind, much appreciated. I am delighted that our blogs crossed, now I have a lovely world to visit on daily basis.

    Love & Hugs
    Duchess

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was at an awesome women's conference this weekend ( I think you saw the details) and it was all the influence of women. then I found out on Monday that it was international women's week and thought that was pretty fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi DW Mom,

    Thanks for visiting my part of the world. Yes I saw the details of your conference. I too was surprised in was IWD. It caught me by surprise. Next year, hopefully, they will give advance notice as they will be celebrating 100 years of progress...

    ReplyDelete
  8. *LOL*! The carpark picture is hilarious. I didn't know it was IWD either; that's not good, is it? It's maybe not publicised as much over here but why not? That's what I want to know.

    Looking forward to St. Patrick's Day; it's extra special as it is also my niece's birthday.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anne-Marie!
    LOVE the parking lot & your friend's sense of humor!
    But seriously, it's good to know International Women's Week is celebrated world-wide!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Helen from Scotland,

    Nice to hear from you. I guess Scottish women have nothing to complain about. Here in North America we dont stop. LOL Happy St.Patrick's Day to you too and Happy Birthday to your niece.

    Best Regards,

    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Zuzu from Colorado,

    Merci for visiting my blog! Yes you are right about the celebration being held world-wide. I think that in certain countries women need to stand up more and be counted.

    Amicalement,

    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete